Friday, May 30, 2008

Jacinda: God's Chosen Servant

15Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place. Many followed him, and he healed all their sick, 16warning them not to tell who he was. 17This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

18"Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
19He will not quarrel or cry out;
no one will hear his voice in the streets.
20A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he leads justice to victory.
21In his name the nations will put their hope."

- Matthew 12:15-21
This passage is what happened right after the Pharisees 'plotted how they might kill [Jesus]' (in verse 14).

God's chosen servant has Self-control and a Calm Spirit

It says here that 'Jesus withdrew from that place'. This is strange! Jesus is running away!? But no, I definitely do not think that Jesus was afraid or too overwhelmed by the Pharisees' persecutions and accusations; that is something Jacinda would do, not Christ.

Throughout the book of Matthew, there are actually many accounts of Jesus "walking away". If I do think about it, it is actually more difficult to walk away than to pick to a fight. Instead of saying something nasty back, Jesus walked away. Instead of walking up to give the person a slap, Jesus walked away. Instead of summoning all the angels to defend himself, Jesus walked away.

Jesus never retaliated, but chose to retreat from unpleasant situations. Not because he was a pushover or that he was cowardly, but because he had great self-control and a calm spirit. If I were Jesus and had my quick temper and tongue, I have a good many things in mind that I would have spat in the Pharisees' faces.

But I have to learn to be like Jesus, to 'not quarrel or cry out', but retreat and be composed about my situations.

God's chosen servant is Quiet and has a Gentle Spirit

Jesus will not break a bruised reed, nor snuff out a smoldering wick (verse 20). There is an imagery of already dying objects being taken care of, instead of abandoning them or shoving them aside.

He was not boisterous or showy, ready for the world to receive him and give him glory for being the Son if God. But just as he preached, he showed all these through his actions. Many times, I look at people who are loud and the center of attention, and think that they are leaders. Yet Jesus has proven to the world that he was a beacon for God by being quiet and gentle.

As long as I constantly do what is right for God, people will be able to see that I am different and I will stand out as being like Jesus - a chosen servant. Isn't it easier to go to someone who is calm and gentle, rather than one who is loud and bossy? Who can confide in someone whose moods and temperament sway so easily?

Being like Jesus shows maturity and stability. That is who I want to be!

2 comments:

Learning Hearts said...

Amen.
Indeed. The " I refuse to speak to you now" attitude.
It really is hard to not fight back, not react, not retaliate. Cos every normal person would want to redeemed themselves.
And naturally, that's me.
I really want to be like Jesus, who is so calm and so gentle.
So stable....
Such a person truly is admirable!

J said...

I am assuming this is Fiona?